Notices to Mariners Week 46 – Notices to Mariners for the Southern East Coast of the UK and across to France, Belgium and part of Holland
1. Admiralty Charts to be published 29 November 2018 - Chart 1594 England - East Coast, River Stour, Erwarton Ness to Manningtree and continuation. 1:10,000
2. ENGLAND - East Coast - Buoyage. - Off Lowestoft - Note this is simply correcting the light characteristics and symbols on UKHO Chart 1543. Other UKHO charts are correct and Imray’s are also correct:
3. BELGIUM - NM Blocks. - This has two blocks for the two listed charts but covering the same area. This brings up to date the Preliminary Notice introduced in week 34 of 2017 vide NoM 1938(P)/17. This Notice recorded 6 new cardinal and special buoys marking the Rentel Wind Farm between the Thortonbank Windfarm and the Lodewijkbank Wind Farm. That area is prohibited to us. The scale of the blocks doesn't include the buoyage so if anyone wants to see them, go to my 2017 list, scroll down to week 34 and my image is still there to download.
1. WOOLWICH REACH ISLAND JETTY DECONSTRUCTION WORKS - On or about 12th November 2018, contractors will be undertaking deconstruction works at Island Jetty for approximately 8 weeks. The works will be undertaken from the jack-up barge ‘COMMANDER’. Chartlet (available in my Temporary List) depicts the location of the works and the limits of the navigation exclusion zone defined by the red boxed area. Only vessels engaged in the works may enter the exclusion zone. The jack-up barge will display the lights and shapes as prescribed in Rule 27 of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea 1972. London VTS will broadcast requests for vessels to “proceed with caution” or “proceed at slow speed”. International Code Flags “Romeo Yankee” will be displayed when this is in effect.
2. Harwich Harbour Maintenance dredging – Harwich Haven berths and approaches - on or about the 7th November 2018 the dredger Sospan Dau will commence maintenance dredging in the harbour, for a period of approximately 4 days. Materials will be disposed of to the beneficial sites in the River Stour and River Orwell. See the image in my Temporary List:http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page9.html . Detailed dredger movements can be obtained from Harwich VTS on VHF Channel 71.
3. Harwich Harbour and Approaches - Seasonal recreational marks - 2 notices - On or after the 27th November 2018 and or on or after 1st November, listed seasonal recreational mark will be withdrawn: They are listed in my Temporary List;
4. Ha’penny pier pontoon refurbishment works
Mariners are advised that on or about 12th November 2018 Harwich Haven Authority will carry out essential improvement works to the pontoons at Ha’penny Pier, Harwich. - The pontoon section at the centre of the mooring berth – see image in the List – will be removed and repaired off site. It is the intention to re-install the pontoon section on or about the 15th March 2019.
While repairs are taking place the Western section of the pontoon in the mooring facility will have no access to the shore.
5. Lowestoft - ANNUAL REMEMBRANCE DAY SERVICE & PARADE - will take place on the morning of Sunday 11th November 2018. To permit the safe passage of the parade and spectators, the Bascule Bridge will not be raised to shipping between the hours 1045hrs & 1130hrs. The Small Vessel opening at 1115hrs will be delayed until 1130hrs. Mariners and Port Users are thanked for their co-operation in advance
6. Blakeney - BHA WEATHER STATION at BLAKENEY QUAY - note that the BHA weather station, currently temporarily mounted on the Sailing Club dinghy park flagpole, will be removed tomorrow November 3rd. From now, it will not be possible to access data from this weather station on the Internet until early December (exact date will be advised), pending it’s long term installation on the South Sands beacon, which is positioned due South of the Old Lifeboat House. We are confident that in this position it will provide very accurate information regarding wind conditions in the Harbour.
7. Blakeney - CHANNEL MARKER STARBOARD NO. 7 and CHANNEL MARKER PORT NO. 8 now relit.
8. No news at Wells!
9. There is a new London Array Notice to Mariners but STILL after a least 6 months, the website doesn't provide access to the Notice - just notification. I am sending a email to the Co-ordinators as the Notice is about 4 locations that will have 500m exclusion zones.
10. Galloper Wind Farm ain't working tonight;
11. East Anglia Web Site hasn't changed anything for months and months!
Link to details - http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page9.html
Local NtMs compiled by and reproduced by kind permission of Roger Gaspar, author of Crossing the Thames Estuary