Notices to Mariners Week 23-25 – Notices to Mariners for the Southern East Coast of the UK and across to France, Belgium and part of Holland
Only the one (unexciting):
BELGIUM - Vlakte van de Raan - Depth. - A reduction of depth close to the S8 buoy north of Zeebrugge. Unlikely to hinder leisure craft at 5.3m!
1. Port of London - CANVEY ISLAND - WASH AND DRAW-OFF DANGERS ON PUBLIC BEACHES - usual annual warning intended mainly for shipping;
2. Ipswich - Dragon Boat Racing Saturday 2nd June 2018 Wet Dock - racing event in Ipswich Wet Dock on Saturday 2nd June 2018 taking place between the hours of :- 1000hrs ~ 1600hrs. More details in the Temporary list at: http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page9.html
3. Rescheduled Dredging Operations River Orwell - trailing suction dredger 'UKD Orca' and Bed leveller 'UKD Seahorse' will be working in the Port of Ipswich and River Orwell from or about Tuesday 12th June 2018 for about 6 days. The deposit operation will take place in the Long Reach of the River Orwell. All vessels are requested to give this vessel a wide berth, especially when 'UKD Orca' swings in the Long Reach near No 3 Buoy following the deposit operations.
4. Port of Wells - dredging;
5. Ramsgate - outside the port and environs - Temporary race marks now in place. Listed in the Temporary list as above.
1. Admiralty Charts to be published 28 June 2018:
Chart 1504 - England - East Coast, Cromer to Orford Ness. 1:150,000 Includes new East Anglia One offshore windfarm and submarine cables and changes to Horne and Wren Gas Fields and depths from the latest British Government Surveys.
Chart 1975 - England - East Coast, Thames Estuary, Northern Part. 1:50,000 Includes changes to depths from the latest British Government and Port of London Authority surveys;
2. NORTH SEA - Netherlands Sector - Buitenbanken and Approaches to Scheveningen - Buoyage. - Re-designation and change of light characteristics for two of the Maas Channel;
3. NETHERLANDS - Deurloo and Rede Van Vlissingen - Drying height. Depths. - One reduced depth off Vlissingen and one drying height on the Deurloo off the Walcheren coast;
4. ENGLAND - East Coast - Woodbridge Haven - Drying heights. Depth. - Three new drying heights of the Deben Knolls. Please note that the Imray East Coast Pilot replacement chartlet already incorporates those changes. I suggest you download the image from the East Coast Pilot website unless you have already done that. - http://www.eastcoastpilot.com/DebenChartlet2018v1-1.pdf ;
5. ENGLAND - East Coast - The Wash - Buoy. - In confirmation of the recent local Kings Lynn NtM, the No 1 channel buoy now changed from lateral mark to special mark;
6. ENGLAND - East Coast - River Medway - Depths. - Four reduced depths: two in the Thamesport maintained depths (!) and two close to the North Kent starboard hand buoy. None likely to hinder leisure craft;
7. ENGLAND - East Coast - Lowestoft Ness E - Buoy. - In confirmation of the recent local NtM, the Outfall cardinal buoy is temporarily removed. - see images at the usual page: http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page9.html
1. WOOLWICH FERRY TERMINALS PILING OPERATIONS - On or about 11th June 2018, contractors conducting piling operations on the North and South ferry terminals. This will involve 3 piles being installed at each terminal. Piling operations will be undertaken from the Jack up barge HAVEN SEARISER 4 with the crane barge FORTH ATLAS in attendance. The North terminal piling is expected to commence 11th June 2018 and be completed by 2nd July 2018. The South terminal piling is expected to commence 2nd July 2018 and be completed by 27th July 2018;
2. Harwich Harbour Maintenance dredging – Harwich Haven berths and approaches - on or about the 3rd June 2018 the plough dredger FORTH DRUMMER will commence maintenance dredging of the Harwich Haven berths and approaches for a period of approximately 10 days. On or about the 7th June 2018 the trailer suction dredger UILENSPIEGEL will commence maintenance dredging of the Harwich Haven berths and approaches for a period of approximately 8 days. Survey work in regard to the dredging operations will be conducted by the vessel AQUATROT. Material from these areas will be disposed to the Inner Gabbard disposal site.
3. LOWESTOFT OUTER HARBOUR SEABED OBSTRUCTION IN TRAWL DOCK - from 24th May for a period of approximately 2 weeks, a "Seabed Lander" with recovery rope & data cable attached to it, will be positioned in the Trawl Doc - see the usual page for image of equipment and position;
4. LOWESTOFT OUTER HARBOUR – ROYAL NORFOLK AND SUFFOLK YACHT CLUB TRAFFIC LIGHT FAULT - the traffic lights positioned at the exit of the Royal Norfolk and Suffolk Yacht Club, position 52˚ 28.35'N, 01˚ 45.17'E, are faulty. They now permanently display 3 x fixed red (vertical) lights. Vessels must request permission to exit the yacht club on VHF Channel 14 from Lowestoft Port Control. Permission to exit against the red lights will be granted only when considered safe to do so;
5. Port of Wells - dredging;
6. Potton Bridge Update - Work to replace the faulty components will begin on 11 June and currently estimate that the bridge will be back in service on 13 June;
7. Galloper Offshore Wind Farm - Survey - 05-05-2018 (! - just recent published as far as I can see) survey vessel "Morven" will be surveying within the OWF, the Sunk TSS and along the 45km export cable where it makes landfall at Sizewell in Suffolk. The vessel will be towing 1 x side scan sonar approximately 50m astern. · The vessel will have restricted manoeuvrability whilst towing the side scan sonar. · In addition, the vessel will carry out multibeam operations in the Sunk TSS, with survey lines orientated North – South, perpendicular to the traffic flow. Image of vessel and route can be found in the usual Temporary list in the above quoted web page.
1. ENGLAND - East Coast - Bull Dog Channel, Bull Dog Sand NW and SW and Kings Lynn - Beacon. Drying heights. Buoy. - One new beacon in the Kings Lynn harbour, 8 revised drying heights alongside the Kings Lynn approach channels and a new port hand buoy 'R'. The position of the buoy in relationship to the current chart indicates the channel has significantly moved.
2. ENGLAND - East Coast - Boston - Works. - Warning of works in progress on the River Witham.
3. BELGIUM - Westhinder - Foul. - A new FOUL in the Westhinder shipping anchorage. In over 20m so unlikely to hinder leisure craft!
4. NORTH SEA - Netherlands Sector - Steenbanken and North Hinder Junction - Buoy. Obstruction. Wrecks. - Removal of a cardinal buoy (and increase of depth) marked a wreck in the Middlediep channel off the Dutch coast. Removal of an obstruction in the Bollen Van Goeree channel.
5. BELGIUM - Wielingen - Obstruction. Buoy. - An obstruction, dangerous to surface navigation, exists in position 51° 19´·91N., 3° 08´·39E. A north cardinal light-buoy, Q NM, has been established in position 51° 20´·07N., 3° 07´·99E. An image of course can be found in: http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page9.html
1. MEDWAY VESSEL TRAFFIC SERVICE - 01st May 2018 at 06:00 UTC, Medway VTS was relocated to the Group Port Control Centre (GPCC) based in Liverpool. Callsign 'Medway VTS' will continue to be available on VHF Channel 74 and by telephone on (0151) 949 6656. Medway Duty Pilot desk will continue to be manned 7 days a week (Mon-Fri 08:30-17:30, Weekends 08:30-15:00) and be available by telephone on (01795 662276).
2. RIVER MEDWAY – CHATHAM & UPNOR REACHES - MEDWAY RIVER FESTIVAL - Saturday 16th June 2018 the MEDWAY RIVER FESTIVAL - River Activity Events centred on an area between Thunderbolt Pier and King's Stairs at Chatham Historic Dockyard at various times between 1100 hrs and 1700 hrs. The patrol boat "Maurice Gill" will be in attendance.
3. Pinto Lighted Buoy, River Crouch - ground tackle now overhauled;
4. PORT OF GREAT YARMOUTH - Haven Bridge Lift Allocations - 16th and 17th June 2018 - Bridge lift allocations shall be corralled into the following times: 1130 hours 1330 hours 1600 hours 1800 hours;
5. PORT OF GREAT YARMOUTH - Great Yarmouth Air Show – 16th & 17th June 2018 - taking place between 1000 hours and 2000 hours. The air displays will be taking place offshore from Great Yarmouth seafront. Exclusion zone detail in the Temporary List in the above quoted web page (and indeed the detail of all the Local NtoM.;
6. Port of Wells - dredging;
Link to details - http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page9.html
Local NtMs compiled by and reproduced by kind permission of Roger Gaspar, author of Crossing the Thames Estuary