Notices to Mariners Week 12
1. ENGLAND – East Coast – Depth. – Another reduction of depth in the Yantlet Channel, River Thames. Last week notified several other reductions so last week’s image now includes this week’s change.
2. ENGLAND – East Coast – Depths. – This permanent notice is identical to last week’s Preliminary notice (1344(P)) in Gallions Reach, River Thames.
3. ENGLAND – East Coast – Works. Maritime limit. Buoyage. Work has commenced on the construction of the East Anglia ONE Wind Farm. The main wind farm array work is marked by thirteen light-buoys. This Preliminary notice is a repeat of Week 3 of 2018 (301(P)/2018). The details are identical – positions, designations and light characteristics so I am repeating the image in case it is of use that no one missed it.
4. ENGLAND – East Coast – Channel limits. – The eastern channel leading to and from the Princes Channel has been revised and widened.
5. ENGLAND – East Coast – Depths. – Three reduced depths in the River Thames off between Erith and Dartford Marshes. Not likely to hinder leisure craft.
6. ENGLAND – East Coast – Depths. – One reduced depth on the southern edge of the Yantlet Channel, River Thames, just east of Sea Reach No 1 South. Ample water for leisure craft and not where we ought to be anyway!
7. NORTH SEA – United Kingdom Sector – Light-beacon. Buoy. – This is a replacement of the beacon in the centre of the East Anglia One Wind Farm zone. The notice says the beacon is changed from an isolated danger mark to an isolated danger beacon. Previously it was marked by a light beacon.
8. ENGLAND – East Coast – Depths. – Two reduction of depth in Gravesend Reach, River Thames. One with ample depth for leisure craft, the other at 0.8m close to the bank at the entrance to the Lock in Tilbury Docks.
9. ENGLAND – East Coast – Depths. – A further two reductions of depth in the River Thames, the first close to the Ovens SHB in bottom of Lower Hope Reach, second close to the Lower Hope PHB at the top of Lower Hope Reach. Neither likely to hinder leisure craft.
1. Ha’penny Pier refurbishment works – as part of the ongoing improvement works being implemented by Harwich Haven Authority, the innermost pontoon on Ha’penny Pier, Harwich, will be replaced with a refurbished pontoon on or around the 11th March 2020. A crane barge and the workboat Jean T will assist with the pontoon replacement. The inner pontoon on Ha’penny Pier must not be used on the 10th and 11th of March 2020. Mariners are requested to pass with care and caution and with minimum wash. Project updates are available Facebook @harwichhaven.
2. Landguard Beach – attention is drawn to the shoaling alongside the shoreline highlighted in the chartlet [attached in the PDF version], outside the main channel south of No9 berth. This notice will remain extant until the shoaling is sufficiently promulgated by UKHO. Mariners navigating in this area should always consult the most recently published, fully corrected chart.
3. Ipswich – Temporary Lock Closure for Installation of New Lock Gates – due to essential works on behalf of ABP, Ipswich Lock will be closed from Monday 23rd March 0800hrs until from Monday 30th March 0800hrs. Transit of the Lock will only be possible on a ‘level’ which is around 60 – 90 minutes before the scheduled High Water time. There is a possibility that works could be completed earlier than expected, please contact Orwell Navigation Service on VHF CH 68 for the latest information.
4. LOWESTOFT – PORT APPROACHES – KIRKLEY SECTOR LIGHT RE-ALIGNMENT – following trials in reference to NTM no. 12, Kirkley Sector light, position 52° 27.71’N, 001° 44.54’E, now displays light characteristics which are different to those shown on Chart 1535. These light characteristics will remain until further notice. The new characteristics for the light are as follows and shown on the below diagram:
Oc G 10s 222˚-225˚ (3˚)
Fl G 2.5s 225˚-226˚ (1˚)
Fl W 2.5s 226˚-227˚ (1˚)
Oc W 10s 227˚-229˚ (2˚)
Fl W 2.5s 229˚-230˚ (1˚)
Fl R 2.5s 230˚-231˚ (1˚)
Oc R 10s 231˚-232˚ (1˚)
5. Oulton Broad – Mutford Lock – the Broads Authority will be carrying out essential maintenance works on Mutford Lock between 09:00hrs 23 March to 17:00hrs 27 March 2020. During this period, the Lock will remain closed. For more information visit www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/notices-to-mariners or call 01603 610734.
6. Port of Wells – Dredging.
London Array Wind Farm web site not working tonight.
All images available for the UKHO notices and for the Landguard Beach chartlet (Temporary List) on the usual web page: Notices to Mariners
Link to details – http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page9.html
Local NtMs compiled by and reproduced by kind permission of Roger Gaspar, author of Crossing the Thames Estuary