Notices to Mariners Week 1, 2 & 3 – Notices to Mariners for the Southern East Coast of the UK and across to France, Belgium and part of Holland
1. ENGLAND - East Coast - Thames Estuary - Routeing measures. Legend. - a repeat of the preliminary notice back in week 35 of 2017. The Precautionary Area around Long Sand Head is 'eased' better around the shallows.
2. NETHERLANDS - Sluissche Hompels - Depths. - One reduction of depth on the Sluissche Hompels bank which is north of the Scheur channel to Vlissingen.
1. GRAVESEND REACH SEACON TOWER WHARF MAIN JETTY FENDER REPAIRS - on or about the week commencing 15th January 2018 work will start on repairing damaged fender elements on the upper end of the main jetty. Repair works are expected to take up to three weeks to complete utilising a crane barge for the duration of the works.
2. Ha’penny pier pontoon refurbishment works - on or about Wednesday 3rd January 2018 Harwich Haven Authority will carry out essential improvement works to the pontoons at Ha’penny Pier, Harwich. The pontoon section at the western end of the mooring berth will be removed and repaired off site. It is the intention to re-install the pontoon section on or before the start of the new sailing season, which begins Friday 30th March 2018
3. RIVER MEDWAY – SALTPAN REACH Core Sampling Operations - from the 3rd of January 2017 the survey vessel ‘Coastal Surveyor’ will undertake core sampling operations in Saltpan Reach for 3 days. Off the commercial jetties.
4. Upper Orwell Crossing Geotechnical Investigation - will commence on or around 11th January 2018 until around 10th April 2018. The area of operation is North of the waiting pontoon and up the New Cut. There will be jack-up barges operating in and around these locations but free access to and from Ipswich Lock will be maintained at all times. The Jack-up barges will be lit to allow night time operations along with the standard RED_WHITE_RED to indicate a vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre.
5. LOWESTOFT - NORTHEAST APPROACHES, EAST CARDINAL ‘SEWER’ BUOY -UNLIT
1. ENGLAND - East Coast - Approaches to Lowestoft and Holm Sand - Depths. Drying height. - Three reduced soundings around the Holm Sand - the west edge very steep to and is encroaching the Corton Road: 4 reduced soundings in the approaches to Lowestoft. Two images on the usual page:
2. ENGLAND - East Coast - Blakeney Point E - Legend. - delete of a 'legend' "Planned". I haven't got any record of that on any of the charts in my possession so 'tis a mystery - but it isn't there now anyway. It was marked need the site of the cabling from the land point to the Sheringham Sands Wind Farm so I assumed it was something about that!
3. 301(P)/2018 ENGLAND - East Coast - Lowestoft SE - Works. Maritime limit. Buoyage. - This is buoyage for the First Phase of the East Anglia 1 Wind Farm. That Wind Farm is east of Lowestoft/Southwold but just west of the Deep Water and junction at the North Hinder. I have placed two images on the web site in the usual NtM 2018 list: the first to show the position, the second closer in to show the detail of the buoy, names and characteristics;
4. ENGLAND - East Coast - Roger Sand E - Buoyage. - slight move of two lateral buoys for the Freeman Channel leading to Boston, and the deletion of the Boston Roads Safe Water Buoy. Image:
5. ENGLAND - East Coast - Lower Hope Reach - Depth. - a new sounding off East Tilbury but at 8.3m, not very exciting for us.
1. Dredging on Hickling Broad - Restricted Access to Hickling Staithe - Hickling Staithe and the boat dyke leading to the Staithe will be closed to navigation during weekdays from Monday 12 February until Friday 23 February 2018;
2. Port of Wells - dredging;
3. Port of London - ST CLEMENTS REACH GRAYS TERMINAL JETTY WORKS from today.
4. Essex Marina - dredging in and around the Marina until 28th March. Pontoons may be moved and temporary lit at night.
Link to details - http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page9.html